HOW TO SIZE A MOTORCYCLE HELMET – The most important personal protective equipment you need to invest in as a motorcyclist is a helmet. You need to know how to size your motorcycle helmet so that you can know exactly which size of the motorcycle helmet to purchase.
A motorcycle helmet is a piece of personal protective gear that provides more protection or more return on investment in the event of a motorcycle crash.
As a result of this, you should never buy a motorcycle helmet based on price or how good looking it is. As a rider, you should buy the best fitting and the highest rated motorcycle helmet you can afford.
Before you buy a motorcycle helmet, you need some research in order to understand the different helmet shapes and which is the best fit for you.
In this article, we thoroughly explain how to size your motorcycle helmet as well as tips on choosing the correct motorcycle helmet.
FACTORS TO CONSIDER BEFORE CHOOSING A HELMET SIZE
- HELMET SHAPE- Helmet shape is practically the most important helmet fitting aspect to consider before determining a motorcycle helmet size. Most helmet manufacturers design their helmet to fit the different head shapes.
- HEAD SHAPES- There are three different types of heads shapes-
- LONG OVAL- The head shape is longer front-to-back than side-to-side. Persons with immediate long oval head shape usually measures ½” or longer than immediate Oval head shape.
- INTERMEDIATE OVAL- This head shape measures a little bit longer from back-to-front than side-to-side when measured from the forehead to the largest area at the back of the skull. Intermediate is the most common head shape.
- ROUND OVAL- measuring front-to-back is closer in relation to side-to-side measurement.
HOW TO MEASURE THE CORRECT HEAD SIZE FOR YOUR HELMET
The best tool for measuring your head is a seamstress or tailors tape measure. It’s best because it is flexible enough to be wrapped around the rider’s skull and its marked in useful increment for determining an accurate size. So you will need it in order to determine which helmets suit you.
Wrap the measuring tape around the fullest part of the rider’s head. The fullest part of the head is just above the ears or just about 1/2 “ above the eyebrows. You will need to ask for friends to help in order to get an accurate measurement.
Once you have gotten an accurate measurement, take I and compare it to the size chart below so you can know which motorcycle helmet size fits your head. Since each manufacturer has sizing that is specific to its own models, you need to use the size cart produced for the helmet model you are considering.
Wearing a well-fitting motorcycle helmet is usually more comfortable and safer to ride with. If the helmet is too tight, the rider will not be comfortable and will experience pain. Worse yet, the riders’ head may not be fully protected in the event of a crash.
To this end, finding a motorcycle helmet that fits your head size cannot be overemphasized. Be smart and ride safe. Ride with the correct size of the motorcycle helmet and cruise the road for years to come!